Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Playing Games Can Be A Good Thing

Quit playing games with my heart, with myyy heart, myyy hearttt....

Last night I went to a wine bar with a new friend (roommate of an old friend who's new to San Diego, which I think is a great sign of friends to come) and I was reminded of something that used to do that ended up being a great way to meet new people. My friend Laura (co-creator of the Pittsburgh chapter of Widen Circle of Friends) and I used to play games at bars. Anything you can think of will work. We loved to play Telephone (a.k.a. Whisper Down the Lane), but you can also do scavenger hunts, take polls, give quizzes. It was such a fun way to spend the night and--bonus!--ended up being a super stress-free way of meeting people that lived in our area.

My new friend, Nikki, reminded me of it last night when she mentioned that she gives polls when she's at bars. Sounds great to me!

On a similar note, having game night seems to be a great way to meet people. You get to hang out in an intimate way, which allows you to control your setting and allows you to get to know your guests a bit better. Maybe a game night should be in my near future where everyone brings a guest...although that sounds like an awful equation for a singles' night! Whatever works ;)

No comments: