Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Mission: Widen Circle of Friends

So here's the deal. Although I've been living in San Diego now for two years, I still need friends. I have a few great people in my life out here in SD, but many of them have families and other obligations. I don't need DIFFERENT friends, I just need MORE. Like the kind I have from college who I could call up and say, "Hey, I just woke up, I'm too tired to brush my teeth, but I'm starving. Panera?" and they don't judge.

I've heard about tons of people nowadays who are putting time lines on finding a husband, finding a job, getting discounts, moving to San Diego (oh, maybe that one was just me), so why not put a time line on finding friends? As my mom would say, "Give yourself a goal!" And at the end of the designated time, if I don't have a new bff then I'll just move on to another city. Just kidding! I love San Diego! (And I don't need a new bff.)

I haven't yet decided what the time line will be, but I think it should be about 6 months to accomplish Mission: Widen Circle of Friends. It worked in Pittsburgh (yay, Laura!) so why not in SD?

I know I'm not the only 20-something out there who's looking for new friends. We're in a transitional stage in our lives. It's not as easy as finding friends, say, your freshman year of college or at your kid's little league practice. So, maybe my journey will give someone else the encouragement he or she needs to get out there and meet people! (You're not going to meet them on your couch in your apartment!)

I officially kicked off the mission last night at my first meetup group (story coming soon), so maybe the mission should end December 31st. That way, if I don't make my mission then I can start a fresh, new year. Who's with me?!

No comments: